Changing the Atmosphere
The gospel must be preached (proclaimed) in power and spiritual passion.
Our lives and sharing the gospel must penetrate the atmosphere of this worlds system which is controlled by and influenced by Satan
In order to pierce the darkness or change the atmosphere it will take:
- First and foremost, a righteous godly lifestyle – lives conformed to the image of Christ, ruled and governed by the Word of God and the Holy Spirit; being conformed to the will of God in every thought, purpose and action.Loving God more than we love ourselves evidenced by radical, determined, immediate obedience.
- An impassioned pursuit of prayer.
- Confrontation of and with the demonic forces
- Expectation of the miraculous
- A burning heart for evangelism — the desire and vision in our heart will spur us on to action
Atmosphere = the surrounding influence; air surrounding the earth; the totality of surrounding conditions and circumstances affecting growth or development; the spiritual climate.
We can change the atmosphere or the climate in the territories we are responsible for — you have authority where you have responsibility
- Your personal life — YOU are responsible for you!You have authority over your personal life — you determine what the atmosphere (spiritual climate) will be over your personal life. You keep the heavens open over your personal life.
- Must become “self” governing.We are to rule in the midst of our enemies – both internal enemies (strongholds in our soul, weaknesses of the flesh, carnal nature, sinful attitudes and the actions that proceed from the thoughts that are contrary to the Word/will of God) and external enemies (thoughts Satan brings against the mind, his attacks, and men controlled by Satan and flesh who oppose God and/or us). Ps 110:2 — The LORD shall send the rod of Your strength out of Zion. Rule in the midst of Your enemies! (NKJ)
Become “Self-governing” – ruling your own house (your body is the temple of the Holy Sprit)
Functioning in apostolic authority to work signs and wonders, to take territories, and have dominion over principalities and powers, over the atmosphere, all depends on being governed internally by the Holy Spirit.
The Lordship of Jesus means we are subjected to His authority, to His Word, His will, etc. It means being controlled by the Holy Spirit – governed and guided, taught, and obedient to His commands – not my will…
Jesus was subjected to His Father, therefore he functioned in great power – His words had authority (exousia) which released the power of God (dunamis)
As Jesus rules and reigns in us and through us, we will experience the fullness or blessings of the kingdom in our lives — righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Ghost (Rom. 14:17)
We must know the Holy Spirit and develop an intimate relationship with Him — How? By fellowshipping with Him. Yielding to Him in obedience so that our lives are governed and controlled by Him, not our flesh; developing a reliance and trust in Him
John 16:7 — Jesus said He would send the Holy Spirit to be in close fellowship with us. Amp.
- We are responsible for the atmosphere over our homes.The marriage relationship — 1 Pet 3:7-9 — Husbands, likewise, dwell with them with understanding, giving honor to the wife, as to the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life, that your prayers may not be hindered. Finally, all of you be of one mind, having compassion for one another; love as brothers, be tenderhearted, be courteous; not returning evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary blessing, knowing that you were called to this, that you may inherit a blessing. If we do not do these things, our prayers will be hindered. The goal of marriage is to create and stay in the atmosphere of love throughout life. This atmosphere of love can only be built and maintained by the couple themselves
The couple decides what the atmosphere will be in their relationship and over their home — if you don’t like what atmosphere is ruling over your lives, over your homes, you have both the authority and responsibility to change it. It does not happen automatically — it takes work, determination, and time to develop an intimate relationship with one another.
The same principles are true with your relationship with your children.
There is the natural and the spiritual aspects for building intimacy and having the atmosphere of love over your home. Natural things: sharing, communicating, doing things together, doing things for one another, speaking words of blessing, touching — physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Spiritual things: praying for and with one another, devotions, worshipping together, etc.
- The atmosphere over the local church.The atmosphere will be affected by the leadership of the church, but The local church will only be as strong as the individuals or families that represent it
- The atmosphere over cities, territories, nations.
Eph 3:9 – “to the intent that now the manifold wisdom of God might be made known by the church to the principalities and powers in the heavenly places.” NKJV
How does the church make known to the principalities and powers with wisdom of God? By living righteous godly lives. Righteousness is defined in the Amplified Bible as, “being conformed to the will of God in every thought, purpose and action, resulting in right living and right standing with God”. Speaking right, living right, etc. This is the manifestation of righteousness — our rightstanding with God being worked out in our lives by right living and right relationships.
Personal internal rebellion defiles the expression of divine order. Our soul (flesh, mind, will and emotions) must be subjected to the Lordship of Christ. The spirit of man, indwelt by the Spirit of God must rise and rule our lives. The nature of Christ manifests in us and through us.
1 Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God.
2 Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves. (NKJ)
The person who is not submitted to authority lacks the ability to govern and exercise any real authority over the region in which they live.
All demonic powers operate through thinking patterns in the people they control. There is no activity of a principality in the heavens without the active outworking of a principle upon the earth.
The strength of apostolic warfare is in the dismantling of long entrenched oppositional mindsets. (2 Cor. 10:3-5) Apostolic warfare pulls down strongholds and brings every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ.
When through powerful preaching, apostolic impartation, and the accompanying acts of God, these patterns are broken, people are set free to be shaped into a new activity by the power of truth they have received.
This is how both Jesus and Paul preached and ministered. This is how thekingdom of God is established first in our lives, then the church, then in the earth to the glory of God.
CREATE A SPIRIT OF EXPECTANCY IN THE TERRITORY YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR. A Spirit of expectancy, or anticipation, is really a spirit of faith.
An expectancy of the miraculous, of revival, will create the atmosphere in which God will work.
How do we do create the spirit of expectancy? BY OUR WORDS!
Words create – either positive or negative. Produce death or life. Prov. 18:20-21
Luke 5:15-17 — Despite opposition of the Jews, miracles still happened in Jesus’ ministry because of the expectancy of the people.
Mark 6:1-6 — Where the was an atmosphere of unbelief and doubt, Jesus could do no miracles
- Words will draw things, people,blessings or curses to you. Words will also repel things, people blessings or curses from you
- Words reflect what is in the heart — Matt. 12:34“Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.”
- The atmosphere of unbelief or strife, etc. is created in the same way as the spirit of faith or expectancy– by words.
- Where people do not expect God to work, people to be saved, healed, delivered, etc. the miraculous will not happen.
- Where the Word of God is not preached in faith concerning these things they will not happen.
- Where the Word of God is preached, declared and proclaimed these things will be in manifestation — in each of these “territories” — self, home, church, city, etc.
- Talk about Jesus — who He is ;what He is doing; what He has done; what He is going to do.
- Talk about the Holy Spirit = the power of God — Speak to yourself– Speak to others. Eph. 5:18-21 — Talk with each other much about the Lord, quoting psalms and hymns and singing sacred songs, making music in your hearts to the Lord. Always give thanks for everything to our God and Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. (TLB)
The principle is found in Romans 4:19-21 — “And not being weak in faith, he did not consider his own body, already dead (since he was about a hundred years old), and the deadness of Sarah’s womb. He did not waver at the promise of God through unbelief, but was strengthened in faith, giving glory to God, and being fully convinced that what He had promised He was also able to perform.” (NKJ)
How do we create a spirit of expectancy in our lives — how do we keep the heavens open?
- Declare the Word of God — boldly; in faith
- Speak the revealed word/will of God; speak the promises of God; talk about what Jesus has done and is doing
- Praise & Thanksgiving
The Word of God spoken in faith –
- Establishes the word of God or the will of God
- Stops the enemy
- Releases the power of God
Our Testimony is not only what we say, but what we do. A testimony is more than just telling how and when we accepted Christ, but it is lived out by our obedience to the Word of God and to the Holy Spirit.
- A righteous godly life is the most powerful weapon against ungodliness and the spirit of the world — (holiness).
- Smith Wigglesworth talked about our activity in faith — doing the word, receiving answers to prayer, and overcoming the attacks of the enemy.This creates expectancy for God to speak, to act and work miracles.
- Do the Word –James 1:22 & 25 — “But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does.”
Paul & Silas — an example of changing the atmosphere — in the territory, in their circumstances, and their lives. Acts 16:22-34 – Then the multitude rose up together against them; and the magistrates tore off their clothes and commanded them to be beaten with rods. And when they had laid many stripes on them, they threw them into prison, commanding the jailer to keep them securely. Having received such a charge, he put them into the inner prison and fastened their feet in the stocks. But at midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the prisoners were listening to them. Suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison were shaken; and immediately all the doors were opened and everyone’s chains were loosed. And the keeper of the prison, awaking from sleep and seeing the prison doors open, supposing the prisoners had fled, drew his sword and was about to kill himself. But Paul called with a loud voice, saying, “Do yourself no harm, for we are all here.” Then he called for a light, ran in, and fell down trembling before Paul and Silas. And he brought them out and said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” So they said, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household. Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all who were in his house. And he took them the same hour of the night and washed their stripes. And immediately he and all his family were baptized. Now when he had brought them into his house, he set food before them; and he rejoiced, having believed in God with all his household.” (NKJ)
Our prayers, praise, and worship should based on and proceed from our intimate relationship with Jesus. Paul and Silas were doing the Word — Eph. 5:18-20; Ps 50:14-15, & 23.
Paul & Silas did not just pray and praise the Lord because they were in trouble —
This was a lifestyle based on the relationship they had with God — the fact that they prayed and prayed in this time of trouble, signified that they trusted God even in this difficult hour.
They committed their lives to God and were looking to Him as the only hope, as their comfort, trusting him with their lives even if it meant death.
2 Cor 1:8-11 – For we do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, of our trouble which came to us in Asia: that we were burdened beyond measure, above strength, so that we despaired even of life. Yes, we had the sentence of death in ourselves, that we should not trust in ourselves but in God who raises the dead, who delivered us from so great a death, and does deliver us; in whom we trust that He will still deliver us, you also helping together in prayer for us.
2 Tim 4:16-18 – At my first defense no one stood with me, but all forsook me. May it not be charged against them. But the Lord stood with me and strengthened me, so that the message might be preached fully through me, and that all the Gentiles might hear. And I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion. And the Lord will deliver me from every evil work and preserve me for His heavenly kingdom. To Him be glory forever and ever. Amen! (NKJ)
Prayer, Praise and Worship brings the presence of God and changes the atmosphere
In the manifested presence of God, there is the Rhema Word of God, the miracle working power of God, the glory of God, the enemy flees — his power is broken,
Ps 50:14-15 – Offer (sacrifice) unto God thanksgiving; and pay thy vows unto the most High: And call upon me in the day of trouble: I will deliver thee, and thou shalt glorify me.
Ps 50:14 –What I want from you is your true thanks; I want your promises fulfilled. I want you to trust me in your times of trouble, so I can rescue you and you can give me glory. (TLB)
Trouble = adversity, tightness, pressure, trouble, tribulation
Deliver = the Hebrew word is “chalets” — to pull off; to strip, to deliver, equip (for fight); strengthen: arm, put off, take away. (Strongs)
Ps 50:23 — Whoso offereth praise glorifieth me: and to him that ordereth his conversation aright will I shew the salvation of God (Elohiym = plural, meaning Father, Son and Holy Spirit).
Ps 50:23 –He who sacrifices thank offerings honors me, and he prepares the way so that I may show him the salvation of God.” (NIV)
Praise = towdah – an extension of the hand, usually adoration; a choir of worshippers: confession, (sacrifice of) praise, thanksgiving, offering of praise, usually with our hands lifted.
ordereth = appoint, commit, consider, determine, do, ordain, order, purpose, wholly turns over, purposes
conversation = a road (as trodden); figuratively, a course of life or mode of action, behavior
Salvation = yesha;` (yesha = Jesus = salvation) liberty, deliverance, prosperity: safety, salvation, saving; to be open, wide or free, i.e. (by implication) to be safe; avenging, defend, help, preserve, rescue, get victory.